Open Heaven 27 April 2020 Devotional By Pastor E.A Adeboye
TOPIC: Watch Always!
“Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.” – (Mark 14:38)
READ: Ephesians 6:10-18 (KJV)
10. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Open Heaven 27 April 2020 Devotional – Watch Always!
The memory verse of today is one of the warnings in the Bible that should send chills through anybody’s spine. I consider it very scary. After the All-knowing God had carefully assessed the circumstances surrounding human existence, He concluded that humans need to be careful to survive this dangerously deceptive world. Sobriety and vigilance are the two major components of watchfulness. To be watchful is to be alert, watching over someone or waiting for some significant event. The Bible lays particular emphasis on the need to watch for fake prophets (Matthew 7:15), false doctrines (Hebrews 13:9), the antichrist (2 John 1:7) and the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 24:42).
God expects everyone of His children to be sober and vigilant in watching against temptations and sins such as pride, worldliness, self-righteousness, immorality, complacency, lukewarmness, spiritual, barrenness and rebellion against constituted authority. We must not be confounded by negative news around the world; rather we should respond with understanding as persons who are informed and therefore well-prepared to watch for signs of the end times.
“Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.” – (1 Thessalonians 5:6)
Beloved, wake up! Christians cannot afford to lose focus for a moment; our hearts must be kept with all diligence. We must watch the crafty attempts of the enemy to attack the authority of Scripture. Watch against worldliness and the quest for ungodly pleasures. Every member of the body of Christ must watch against the secularisation of the Church and protect its sanctity against false prophets, sexual immorality and all sinful practices.
Father, please help me to be sober and watchful in all things, in the mighty name of Jesus.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Psalms 81, 88, 92-93
Hymn 26 – Stand up! stand up for Jesus
1. Stand up! stand up for Jesus,
Ye soldiers of the Cross!
Lift high His royal banner;
It must not suffer loss.
From vict’ry unto vict’ry
His army shall He lead,
Till every foe is vanquished,
And Christ is Lord indeed.
2. Stand up! stand up for Jesus,
The trumpet call obey;
Forth to the mighty conflict,
In this His glorious day;
Ye that are men now serve Him
Against unnumbered foes;
Let courage rise with danger,
And strength to strength oppose.
3. Stand up! stand up for Jesus!
Stand in His strength alone;
The arm of flesh will fail you,
Ye dare not trust your own:
Put on the gospel armour,
And watching unto prayer;
Where duty calls, or danger,
Be never wanting there.
4. Stand up! stand up for Jesus!
The strife will not be long;
This day the noise of battle,
The next the victor’s song;
To him that overcometh,
A crown of life shall be;
He with the King of glory
Shall reign eternally.