Open Heaven 4th May 2020 Daily Devotional by Pastor E.A Adeboye
TOPIC: Time To Change
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” – (2 Chronicles 7:14)
READ: Matthew 3:5-12 (KJV)
5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
7. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8. Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9. And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
12. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
Open Heaven 4th May 2020 – Time To Change
Many years ago, during a retreat at the Redemption Camp of the RCCG, a preacher said: When God sends down spiritual revival, even the most pious of men would repent! A person seeking repentance may not necessarily have left the faith; such a one may just have stopped doing the good things he/she used to, which according to the Bible is tantamount to sin. No wonder James 4:17 says:
“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
So, why is this the time to change and what exactly are you supposed to change?
To start with, eternity can begin at any time for anyone of us. Hebrews 9:27 says it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Therefore, choosing to wait until tomorrow may be too dangerous. Also, God wants you to change from being cold or lukewarm. He wants you to become committed to doing His will.
The whole body of Christ needs a revival – whether you are a member, worker or even a pastor. We have to return to our first love, and doing the deeds of righteousness: fasting, praying, in depth study of God’s word, regular fellowship with the brethren, sacrificial giving, faithful tithing and others. Then, God will send His fire to our lives. Can you recall our memory verse?
If we will be refreshed, we must surrender ourselves to God and commit to working on our shortcomings in evangelism, missions and separation from the world. In today’s Bible reading, John confronted the religious leaders of his time with a message of change so they could enjoy the new testaments spiritual blessings.
Beloved, don’t get so familiar with God’s word that you stop doing the essentials of the faith. We must preach the gospel of Christ to everyone, so that as we have changed, sinners, backsliders, and persecutors can do the same.
Using the Bible as a mirror, check to see where you have fallen short of Gods expectations and begin to effect a change.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Psalms 1-2, 15, 22-24, 47, 68
Hymn 27 – Take my life, and let it be
1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet, and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3. Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine:
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.