Scripture Union Daily Guide 11 May 2020
Topic: Deception & Greed in Display
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I request that you help me to encounter you as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: Jeremiah 41: 1–18
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Outline: This passage is full of rivalry, fighting, bloodshed. Such events are common in many nations today, especially in Africa. James 4:1–6 uncovers the cause of such evils. Gedaliah, the newly appointed governor of the remnant of Judah was tragically assassinated. Notice how terrible his killers were. They were sitting down to eat with him as his guests, and then got up and killed him and those with him (vv.1–3).
What is the implication of Ishmael’s action? Evil thrives in a state of anarchy. This is so because Judah has rejected their God and was now suffering in the hand of their enemy (Proverbs 14:34). It is in the custom of the Jews to show penitence in the way the eighty men did in v.5.
Perhaps these men were mourning for their fallen nation desiring to plead for God’s mercy. The men were deceived by Ishmael just as Gedaliah was. How true Jeremiah 17:9 is. Are you disturbed when violence and killing of innocent people continues to increase in your nation?
Compare the activities in vv.8–10 to what is happening today all around the globe – increase in violence sending many into refugee camps etc. Eventually (vv.11–15), the people taken captive by Ishmael were rescued. Alas, they turned their faces towards Egypt for safety instead of turning to God.
• And so: Be an instrument of rescue for those taken captive by sin. Watch out for deceitful men like Ismael, whether it be individual or the Government in power. Be wise like the serpent to detect Islamization agenda of some African Governments.
• Pray earnestly for peace, harmony and good government in our countries.
• Pray for CAPRO, CMF and other missionary organizations for provisions and fruitful missions.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Luke 11:9–13
Read the Bible in one Year
1 Kings 1–2; Matt. 6:1–18
Scripture Union Daily Guide 11 May 2020 – Deception & Greed in Display