Topic: Futility Of Opposing God
TEXT: Job 9:1-11
1. Then Job answered and said,
2. I know it is so of a truth; but how should man be just with God?
3. If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.
4. He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength; who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?
5. Which removeth the mountains, and they know not; which overturneth them in his anger.
6. Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.
7. Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.
8. Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.
9. Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.
10. Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.
11. Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not; he passeth on also, but I perceive him not.
“He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?” – (Job 9:4)
DCLM Daily Manna 10th August 2021 MESSAGE:
What would you think of a man that attempts to crush a rock by throwing eggs at it? Foolish, of course. Yet, this foolishness is akin to when a person clenches his fist and grinds his teeth against his Maker. From the earliest of times, people have been doing that by hardening their hearts against God and working contrary to His will.
Job, in today’s text, harped on the futility of opposing God. He asked, “who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?” Job’s friends ignorantly assumed that his predicament was a result of his sinfulness. He acknowledged God’s justice and the reality of the sinfulness of man. He also commended the almighty power of God as demonstrated on earth and in heaven. He observed that God is wise in heart and mighty in strength. He removes mountains, shakes the earth, and controls the sun and stars, and threads upon the sea waves. He moderates Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades (different stars) and governs the unseen regions of the southern hemisphere. Indeed, God “doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.”
Against such a mighty God who would dare rebel? Unfortunately, people do. Everyone that does not believe in God or violates His precepts does. We live in days marked by sins of hitherto unthinkable proportion. They “call evil good, and good evil”. They promote pervasions that clearly violate God’s word. They forget that rebellion is not only a futile attempt but that which attracts eternal damnation.
The only safe ground in this matter is in Christ. If you have not repented of sin, you are resisting God. As a believer, you should stop struggling with God. Remember that nobody hardens himself against Him and succeeds. Yield now.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
You are either for God or against Him.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 10th August 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.