Topic: God Demands Justice
TEXT: Psalm 82:1-7
1. His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2. The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
3. Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.
4. I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me; behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.
5. And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her; and the highest himself shall establish her.
6. The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.
7. As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there; all my springs are in thee.
“How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked?” – (Psalm 82:2)
DCLM Daily Manna 20 August 2021 MESSAGE:
A Christian brother who was a one-time court magistrate, narrated the unforgettable experience he had while still in the bench. A cousin of his was once brought to his court by the police for a murder charge that carried death penalty. His unbelieving parents and family members came to passionately appeal to him to temper justice with mercy. He said he had severally preached to the young man and counselled him but he remained recalcitrant. He said he had to seriously pray to God on the case to have the needed courage and boldness to deliver the right judgment. The retired magistrate said according to the law, he sentenced his cousin to death by hanging amidst family and friends’ condemnation and vilification.
In the Bible passage today, the psalmist cried out for justice in the land. There was partiality in judgment in the land. The poor and the fatherless were cheated. Their rights were recklessly and forcefully taken away from them and the wicked were wrongfully justified and vindicated in judgment. The psalmist was lamenting how men failed to follow the pattern of God who judges without respect of persons. He never takes bribes to pervert justice.
The term “gods” in our text means the people who God has placed in high positions of authority to administer justice in the community of men. The exalted position of the rulers and those in authority who have abused their offices will not protect them from God’s impartial judgment. This is because God is the supreme and righteous Judge of the whole earth.
Both in the secular and in the spiritual settings, God demands justice and fairness among the rulers. People and the judges should not give or receive bribes to pervert justice because the Supreme Judge is watching.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Everyone, including judges, shall be judged by the righteous Judge.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 20 August 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.