Topic: Evil Of Idle Talk
TEXT: Matthew 12:22-37
22. Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb; and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24. But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand;
26. And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27. And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29. Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
33. Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt; for the tree is known by his fruit.
34. O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things; and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
“For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” – (Matthew 12:37)
DCLM Daily Manna 3 September 2021 Devotional MESSAGE:
Those who spoke blasphemously against the teachings of Jesus Christ as He walked the length and breadth of Israel at the time of His ministry here on earth hardly realised they were sowing winds that would give birth to whirlwinds in eternity. They spoke rashly, proudly and ignorantly. They were utterances sowed in fertile soil with the power to take a flight away from their day. That is the power of the spoken word.
Recklessly, the critics of our Lord, largely the Pharisees, Sadducees and scribes, contradicted all He did or said. They watched Him wherever He turned, seeking to trap and hand Him over for prosecution and execution. If He healed the tormented on the Sabbath, the beneficial component of the deed was not noticed but the timing. If He taught the pure principles of God’s kingdom, He was asked if He had a rabbi’s permit to preach.
Finally, after failing to turn the people against Jesus through a long campaign of calumny, they resorted to saying, “This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devil”. It was the height of sacrilegious comment on the work of the Son of God. Their idle talk did not go without divine rebuke, backed by the teaching that all unfruitful statements “that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment”.
Statements that will make us escape the wrath of the Lord hereafter are the biblically approved ones. It should be from a cleansed heart not stained by sin and worldliness; but a heart which Christ rules. It should be from a heart that has no room for rivals of Christ. Also, it should be from a heart that disallows heresy and other satanic influences. No fruitless talk can emerge from such a heart.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Guard your mouth.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 3 September 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.