Topic: God Sends Unsolicited Help!
Read The previous message here: Scripture Union Daily Devotional 4 September 2021 – God’s Servants May Suffer Burn-But!
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: 1 Kings 20:1-21
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
It is easy to conclude that King Ahab really deserved Ben-Hadad’s attack, especially with his unrepentant wife, Jezebel still attacking God and His prophets in the land. The question we ask today is: What made Ahab deserve the prophetic words of encouragement and comfort delivered by the unnamed prophet (vs.13-14)? After God had displayed His supreme power over Baal at Mount Carmel, He continued to court their commitment and total worship by helping them defeat Ben-Hadad and his people (v.13; cf., Matthew 18:14). God wanted to show them that He still cares about them and that He wants them to return to Him. No matter how far we might have gone in sin, the arm of God is still stretched out to receive us and to grant us His salvation through Jesus Christ. Read John 10:10 and compare Ben-Hadad intension to assault King Ahab and God’s people of Samaria (vs.1-10). Satan never has any good plan for humanity. He uses principalities, powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world and the spiritual wickedness in high places to oppress, afflict, and trouble humanity (Ephesians 6:12). How have you enjoyed God’s special grace lately? How does He demonstrate His universal grace in your land nowadays?
• Thought: Ephesians 2:8-10
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Dear Lord, make me a channel of your blessings to the thirsty hearts around.
• Pray for interdenominational Christian fellowships operating in our campuses – IVF, SUCF, NIFES, FCS and such others – to blossom and be instruments of unity in the body of Christ.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with 1 Peter 2:24;Psalms 146-147; John 1 :1-28
Scripture Union Daily Devotional 5 September 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God