DCLM Daily Manna 13 May 2020 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: No Cover-ups!
TEXT: Luke 12:1-12
1. In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
2. For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
3. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.
4. And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear; Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
6. Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
7. But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore; ye are of more value than many sparrows.
8. Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God;
9. But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.
10. And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.
11. And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say;
12. For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
“For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.” – (Luke 12:2)
The recent sex scandal involving a pastor of a pentecostal church and the wife of a popular singer in Nigeria attests to the fact that there is nothing hidden that will not eventually come to the limelight. It also points to the fact that the sand of time cannot fully cover up man’s sin. According to the confession of the lady, the act had been committed eighteen years earlier. One would have thought that the deed was long dead and buried. But alas, what was a secret became an open scandal which forced the pastor to step down from the pulpit.
In our text today, Jesus clearly warned His disciples against hypocrisy. He clarified that no matter how a man may try to hide his pretentious lifestyle, it will eventually become known some day. One of the things that lead people to hypocrisy is the fear of man. Hence, they prefer to continue to live a life of lies in order to continue to enjoy the acceptance of others or escape their punishment. But Jesus declares that what may be hidden from men is open and known to God. It is better to fear Him who has power to bring a more eternal punishment on man than fear human beings who can only bring a momentary punishment.
When we understand that our secrets will eventually become open, we will want to be more careful about the way we live either in the secret or open. This will help us to live straightforward, honest and sincere lives at all times. And since we do not have skeletons in our cupboards, we will also have nothing to fear.
Make up your mind therefore to live an honest life at all times. If you have fallen into any disgraceful act, open up on it instead of covering up. When sin is confessed, it no longer has the power to keep you in captivity. Let there be no cover-ups in your life; and the devil, the accuser, will have nothing to hold against you.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The sand of time cannot cover up sins!
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Corinthians 1-4
DCLM Daily Manna 13 May 2020 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.