DCLM Daily Manna 2 April 2020 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: Interceding For Nations
TEXT: Amos 7:1-6
1. Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me; and, behold, he formed grasshoppers in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth; and, lo, it was the latter growth after the king’s mowings.
2. And it came to pass, that when they had made an end of eating the grass of the land, then I said, O Lord GOD, forgive, I beseech thee; by whom shall Jacob arise? for he is small.
3. The LORD repented for this; It shall not be, saith the LORD.
4. Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me; and, behold, the Lord GOD called to contend by fire, and it devoured the great deep, and did eat up a part.
5. Then said I, O Lord GOD, cease, I beseech thee; by whom shall Jacob arise? for he is small.
6. The LORD repented for this; This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD.
“Then said I, O Lord GOD, cease, I beseech thee: by whom shall Jacob arise? for he is small.” – (Amos 7:5)
Charles Spurgeon said, “The biblical account of intercessors in both Old and New Testaments is a proof that intercessors are needed constantly from generation to generation to intercept God’s impending judgment because of daily increase of sin and iniquity. The intercessors easily forget their personal needs but consider the will, way and word of God to prevail over every wickedness in the land that may prompt the wrath of God. The intercessors are to stand between God and the people, appeasing God on behalf of the people and the land.”
Our text reveals Prophet Amos’ message to Israel about two impending disasters the Lord had shown him. A band of grasshoppers would invade Israel, “eating the grass of the land” which means famine. The second disaster was a judgment of fire (Amos 7:4). The two visions provoked the prophet to plead twice with the Lord to forgive and cease from the continuous destruction of the land.
True disciples of Jesus are never unconcerned about the situation around them. At the root of human calamities is sin and the forgiveness of God is required for people to be free from plagues and disasters. Amos played his part through intercession and heaven responded immediately because God has no pleasure in the death of sinners.
We have a major role to play today in a world that is derailing from God’s purpose, plan and programme. The internet has brought immorality closer to every human being than ever before. No doubt, serious intercessors are urgently needed to stop God’s wrath. As you go about your business today, do the world a favour and pray for the mercy of God on the land.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God needs you to fill the gap.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 2 April 2020 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.