TOPIC: No Lone Ranger
TEXT: Exodus 18:13-27
13. And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people; and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening.
14. And when Moses’ father in law saw all that he did to the people, he said, What is this thing that thou doest to the people? why sittest thou thyself alone, and all the people stand by thee from morning unto even?
15. And Moses said unto his father in law, Because the people come unto me to enquire of God;
16. When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws.
17. And Moses’ father in law said unto him, The thing that thou doest is not good.
18. Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee; for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.
19. Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee; Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God;
20. And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.
21. Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens;
22. And let them judge the people at all seasons; and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge; so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee.
23. If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace.
24. So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said.
25. And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.
26. And they judged the people at all seasons; the hard causes they brought unto Moses, but every small matter they judged themselves.
27. And Moses let his father in law depart; and he went his way into his own land.
“Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.” – (Exodus 18:18)
DCLM Daily Manna Devotional 18th November 2020 MESSAGE:
One of the wonderful attributes of the Bible is its versatility. It is applicable to every age and situation of man. Almost all known noble professions run on principles traceable to the Bible. For instance, the concepts of management, hierarchy and delegation of authority are traceable to today’s text.
Moses was a highly spiritual leader. Faithfulness to God and love for his people made him to sit from morning till evening counselling and settling matters among them. Jethro, his father-in-law, seeing this, offered him the advice that has become a major element in leadership. Jethro hinted at the trouble with being a lone ranger in leadership: exhaustion, time-wasting and frustration. Moses was advised to appoint leaders “to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens”. This way, Moses was to have more time to hear from God and be concerned with more serious issues relating to the people while the other leaders handled lesser matters at their respective levels.
Leaders were required to be able men – intelligent and courageous; such as fear God – godly and conscientious; men of truth – honest and reliable; hating covetousness – not seeking self-aggrandisement or taking bribe. Those who wangle their way to leadership positions without these attributes often abuse their office and run into peril. God has set in the Church different gifts and levels of leadership. He has also set standards for Christian leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-13). These attributes are also a pattern for every Christian to follow.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God has not called anyone into the ministry as a lone ranger.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna Devotional 18th November 2020 Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.