Open Heaven 2 May 2020 Daily Devotional By Pastor E.A Adeboye
TOPIC: Love: The Most Essential Gift Of The Spirit
“We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.” – (1 John 3:14)
READ: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 (KJV)
1. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6. Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7. Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
Open Heaven 2 May 2020 MESSAGE:
The Bible describes love as the sum of all the commandments of God.
(1 Corinthians 13:1-2) says:
“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels… And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity (love), I am nothing.”
The Bible clearly presents the importance of love and how children of God should rate it as a virtue. God compared some rare spiritual gifts to love and made it obvious that without it (love), the other gifts are inconsequential. This simply means that love is the golden scale by which whatever gifts we exhibit and whatever services we offer to God are weighed. The big question is: In what sense does love fulfil the totality of the law? The answer is embedded in Romans 13:10 which says: “Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”
Therefore, if the love of God is in your heart, you will fulfil the law without grumbling but rather with joy. That is why Paul reduced the commandments to only one “Love is the fulfilling of the law.” As I have often counselled my children, love can insulate you against the pains, discouragement, and difficulties associated with any given task. Jacob served a total of fourteen years for Rachel and they seemed unto him but a few days, because of the love he had for her (Genesis 29:20 ). Furthermore, obedience is a natural fruit of love.
You will never want to disobey or rebel against the authority of someone you truly love. Love makes obedience to God very easy.
Father, please help me to love You with all my heart, soul and spirit, in the mighty name of Jesus.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Hymn 11 – I am so glad that our Father in heaven
1. I am so glad that our Father in heaven
Tell of His love in the book He has given;
Wonderful things in the Bible I see;
This is the dearest, that Jesus loves me.
I am so glad that Jesus loves me,
Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me,
I am so glad that Jesus loves me,
Jesus loves even me.
2. Jesus loves me and I know I love Him;
Love brought Him down my lost soul to redeem;
Yes, it was love made Him die on the tree:
Oh, I am certain that Jesus love me.
3. In this assurance I find sweetest rest,
Trusting in Jesus I know I am blest;
Satan dismayed from my soul doth now flee
When I just tell him that Jesus loves me.
4. Oh, if there’s only one song I can sing,
When in His beauty I see the great King,
This shall my song in eternity be,
“Oh, what a wonder that Jesus loves me!”
5. If one should ask of me, how can I tell?
Glory to Jesus, I know very well!
God’s Holy Spirit with mine doth agree,
Constantly witnessing-Jesus loves me.
Open Heaven 2 May 2020 Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.