Topic: There Is Grace In Adversity
Read the previous devotional here: Scripture Union Daily Devotional 23 September 2021 – From The Lord Comes Deliverance!
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I request that you help me to encounter you as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: Psalm 4:1-8
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
How would you have felt being accused continually by people especially when they have no grounds to do so (v.2)? More so, God seems silent and not defending you! David was distressed because his reputation was being slandered, even ruined (v.2). The hurt is usually more when the problem is from friends, family or someone close to you! But David was so conscious of his relationship with God (v.3) that he won’t allow his anger to cause him to sin. What a challenge in self-control! Do you allow others to determine your state of mind? That is risky. Notice David’s advice in v.4a (cf. Ephesians 4:26)? We can avoid falling into such sin if we regularly spend time evaluating our daily thoughts and actions in the quietness of our bedroom, listening to and trusting God (vs.4-5). When others are frightful and looking for solutions, we can, like David, enjoy peaceful sleep because we know the Lord keeps watch over us. Our peace is not determined by others or our circumstance (v.8).
• So what? Are you under any pressure right now? Are you being unjustly criticised or slandered? As God’s child and His chosen one, you can enjoy His joy and peace. Trust Him!
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord, teach me to discern distractions in adversity so I may avoid them and triumph.
• Pray against sexual exploitation and religious intimidation in IDP/refugee camps; pray for the Christians among them to withstand such pressures; also ask for adequate provision and protection in these facilities.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 30:15; Ezek. 11-13; John 10:24-42
Scripture Union Daily Devotional 24 September 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God